Saturday, November 10, 2007

Sacred Crow Medicine



This is a painting I made for Charles de Lint and his wife Mary Anne, the drawing was a gift from a friend, but the rest of the composition and painting is mine.
A few months ago I was reading The Davinci code and then Demons and Angels and I was so inspired I made a few paintings, all of them sold but not the one that now lives under this little painting.

I had done an abstract of "Grail's Sacred Blood" with the symbols of the pentagram and a spiral, (the first so much maligned) I had read in The Code that the pentagram is an ancient symbol... it is energy and movement and points to Leonardo de Vinci’s drawing of a man joining heaven and earth, and so on...the spiral representing Goddess energy, but it did not sell, so I had set it aside and when the idea of the Raven came to me, I used it and you can still see some of the original painting on the background because I usually paint in layers. I think it ads to the energy of the Raven to have this under, of course if you don't like pentagrams and blood- abstracts... To me, blood is symbolic of life force and ritual...(as a good ex Catholic, I remain rooted in the sacredness of this concepts)

Someone sent me this and I found it tonight once more:

Crow is the left-handed guardian. Crow knows the unknowable mysteries of creation and is the keeper of all sacred law. There are several species of crow. Raven is one of these and magpies are another. Crow medicine people are masters of illusion. Do not try to figure crow out. It is the power of the unknown at work, and something special is about to happen.

Crow is also the guardian of ceremonial magic and healing. In any healing circle, Crow is present. Crow guides the magic of healing and the change in consciousness that will bring about a new reality and dispel "dis-ease" or illness. You can rest assure when ever crows are around, magic is near by and you are about to experience a change in consciousness. Crow can give you the courage to enter the darkness of the void, which is the home of all that is not yet in form.

They are territorial and won't give up an area without a fight. They are loners, seeming to like to spend time to themselves. ~
Jamie Sams

With this read, it makes perfect sense that we have started this journey of the Sacred Crow, please think of including in your box a prayer or afirmation that will stay with the box. I am also making a small Medicine Bag that should remain with the box as well.

Bright Blessings dear sisters.
Griselda

4 comments:

GraceBeading said...

A magicial painting for sure. It's beautiful Gris

I agree the pentagram is so much maligned. It was the DH's trademark for his business for many years and about got him run out of town (that was in Louisiana).

I really like the idea of an affirmation as well. This whole thing becomes more inspiring by the moment.

Connie said...

Hey Gris,
Business first...can you edit this post to include the author of your crow quote? It's Jamie Sands, who created the Medicine Cards. Thank you!

Connie said...

oops, make that Jamie Sams.

Griselda said...

Hello Grace, that is very interesting information. People need to be more informed. I learned that in old traditional symbolism,the pentagram was representative of the descent of the divinity of Christ into the world of matter, (Medieval Christianity) it represented the Star of Bethlehem.
I have seen a pentagram combined with a heart and a cross, leave it to imagination and creativity. All is good.